Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (officially abbreviated as WAR) was a massively multiplayer online role-playing game based on Games Workshop's Warhammer Fantasy setting, developed by Mythic Entertainment and published in 2008 by Electronic Arts in American and Oceana and GOA in Europe. However, on June 29th 2010 the European operations transiationed back over to Mythic Entertainment.
Before Mythic Entertainment, a studio called Anthill Studios which was later acquired by Climax Studios and renamed "Climax Nottingham" was working from 2000 on a Warhammer Online game of their own, even showing a trailer at E3, some behind the scenes videos here and here, and was even presented by Paul Barnett (who worked at Games Workshop at the time and later joined Mythic Entertainement) at Screenplay Festival 2004. However in mid 2004 due to the costs involved in brining the game to market was cancelled. The game was to be published by Sega Europe.
In 2005 Games Workshop was approached by Mythic Entertainment with a pitch for a new Warhammer Online MMORPG. The original design was to have three factions; Order, Destruction & Chaos and was for the first half of its development lifecycle was aimed to be a PvE focused game to compete more directly with World of Warcraft whilst a sequel to Dark Age of Camelot would focus on RvR content. However the sequel was later cancelled and the RvR elements were adapted into Warhammer Online.
After the success of the Land of the Dead expansion Mythic had planned for a Vampire Counts themed expansion dubbed "Bloodhunt" however this was cancelled halfway through development and resouces were poured into Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heros.
On 18 December 2013, Warhammer Online was shut down.
- Mythic Entertainment (2007). Game Overview. Mythic Entertainment. Retrieved on 2007-02-01.
- gamesindustry.biz (2004) . Climax "sad" about Warhammer Online, but studio will be unaffected. Retrieved on 2021-01-06.
- IGN (2005). E3 2005: Mythic Picks Up Warhammer and the licence was aquired on May 18, 2005. Retrieved on 2021-01-06.
- @Jeff_Skalski . Jeff Skalski Twitter. Retrieved on 2021-01-06.
- @xenobond. Xenobond Flag of United States Hamburger Twitter. Retrieved on 2021-01-06.
- Gouskos, Carrie (2014). "Reflections on Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning". Mythic Entertainment.